Appleton™ explosionproof, dust-ignitionproof Contender™ Series factory sealed control stations confine the arcing of devices within the enclosure, preventing ignition of ignitable atmospheres during control operation of motors and other equipment. A variety of push buttons and selector switches are available for use in conjunction with contactors or magnetic starters for remote control of motors. They provide circuit control and/or selection. Pilot lights are available to provide visual assurance that an electrical function is being performed at a remote or local location. Contender™ Series control stations are designed for use in classified areas where flammable vapors, gases or highly combustible dusts are present.
Contender™ Series Applications
- Push buttons and selector switches are used in conjunction with contactors or magnetic starters for remote control of motors. Provide circuit control and/or selection.
- Pilot lights provide visual assurance that an electrical function is being performed at a remote or local location.
- Confine arcing of device within the enclosure, preventing ignition of ignitable atmospheres during control operation of motors and other equipment.
- Used in classified areas where flammable vapors, gasses or highly combustible dusts are present.
- For installation in: chemical plants, petrochemical plants, refineries, other process industries, or where corrosive elements are present.
Contender™ Series Features
- Explosionproof, Dust-Ignitionproof. Ideal for installation in chemical and petrochemical plants, refineries and other process industries
- Factory sealed, eliminates the need for adding sealing fittings and compound at each conduit entrance
- Epoxy powder coat finish for enhanced corrosion resistance
- Factory sealed pilot lights are supplied with jewel/guard assembly and 120 Vac/Vdc, 50/60 Hz, 6 Watt lamp (LED option available)
- Heavy-duty push buttons, 10 Amp, 600 Vac rated. Enclosed stainless steel helper spring prevents accidental operation of push button in severe vibration installations
- Momentary push buttons are supplied with lockout type guards as standard. A hole in the guard will accept locks with up to 1/4#8221; hasp. Permits locking of push button to prevent unauthorized operation
- Large backbox for ample wiring room supplied with internal ground screw. Accurately tapped, tapered hubs for tight, rigid joints and ground continuity. Smooth, rounded integral bushing in each hub protects conductor insulation
- Corrosion resistant captive stainless steel hex head cap screws hold covers to body
- Stainless steel push button shaft operates within stainless steel bushing assuring long, maintenance free operation
- Push button and selector switch contacts are silver cadmium oxide which are #8221;sealed#8221; in lower phenolic chamber isolated from corrosive elements. Assures positive contact and long, trouble-free operation
- Clearly marked terminals with brass screws assure quick, easy wiring
|NEC and CEC Certifications and Compliances||Class I, Division 1, Groups C, D; Class I, Division 2, Groups B, C, D; Class II, Division 1 and 2, Groups E, F, G; Class III; NEMA 3, 7CD, 9EFG|
|Body and Cover Standard Materials and Finishes||Malleable iron body and cover with triple-coat finish (1) zinc electroplate, (2) chromate, and (3) epoxy powder coat|
|SPBB Standard Materials and Finishes||Push button upper barrel is copperfree (4/10 of 1% max.) aluminum with a natural finish; lower barrel is phenolic with nylon plastic button (dust cap models have neoprene buttons)|
|SPLS Standard Materials and Finishes||Pilot light guard and body assembly is copperfree (4/10 of 1% max.) aluminum with a natural finish; steel clamping ring; and tempered glass jewel|
|SSBA Standard Materials and Finishes||Selector switch operator mechanism is copperfree (4/10 of 1% max.) aluminum with a natural finish; nylon cam; and sealed phenolic contact block|
|Option Materials||1- or 2-gang copperfree (4/10 of 1% max.) aluminum bodies and covers available|
|Modified Operation Three Position Selector Switches||Momentary contact right position, spring return to center, maintained contact left position (with or without alternate contacts). Momentary contact left position, spring return to center, maintained contact right position|
|Optional Lockouts||Selector switch lockout locks two or three position handle in any position. Securing rod for push button lockout guard is also available|
|Incandescent Pilot Lights||Amber, blue, clear, green, opal pilot light jewel/guard assembly|
|LED Pilot Lights||Red, amber, green pilot available in lieu of incandescent pilot lights|